The launch of the 2017 AdaptationWatch report at COP23 highlights the experiences of nations in the Global South in adaptation. The report emphasizes the need to bolster the effectiveness of climate adaptation action, to ensure that the world’s most vulnerable people are well-equipped to respond to the impacts of climate change.
“The impacts of climate change are falling disproportionately on the world’s poorest nations and peoples, who are often the least able to cope. International funding is therefore critical for adapting to a changing climate and building resilient societies,” said Kevin Adams, editor of the report and researcher at Stockholm Environment Institute, one of the partnership organizations behind the report.
The AdaptationWatch report highlights ten key actions for moving forward on adaptation under the Paris Agreement:
- Commit to the era of adaptation implementation.
- Increase finance for adaptation.
- Define ‘adaptation’ clearly.
- Outline a robust reporting system with universal methodologies for accounting.
- Move toward substantive assessments of progress on adaptation.
- Ensure that finance goes to the most vulnerable and under-supported.
- Consider in-country issues with communication and coordination.
- Simplify and support efforts to increase climate finance readiness.
- Co-design adaptation action with local communities.
- Reorient capacity building efforts to focus on the long-term.
The report will be presented at COP23 on 11 November, 09:00-11:00 at DIE Interconnections.
Journalists are welcome to attend, please note your presence to email@example.com.
The AdaptationWatch report
Read and download the 2017 AdaptationWatch report
Information about the COP23 side-event Transparency, governance and accountability
Watch video with Kevin Adams from SEI
For more information, please contact:
Kevin Adams, Research Associate, SEI
firstname.lastname@example.org +46 70 190 6773 @KevinM_Adams
Robert Watt, Director of Communications, SEI
robert.watt@sei-internationalorg +46 73707 8589 @wattrob
Ylva Rylander, Press Officer, SEI
email@example.com +46 73150 3384 @SEIforskning
SEI’s full programme is available on our COP23 digital hub. Regular updates from the UN climate conference will appear on the twitter feed @SEIclimate.
AdaptationWatch is a growing partnership of organizations from across the world, aiming to catalyze wide participation in plans and actions to adapt to climate change. www.adaptationwatch.org