How to apply
For more information on the role and how to apply, click on the link below.
As Director you will be responsible for the strategic leadership and management of the Centre, working closely with leadership teams at SEI HQ (based in Stockholm) and the University of York to support the development and growth of the Centre. Management and leadership duties will encompass roughly half of your role, 50% remaining to develop your research; securing ambitious, high-value grants that generate real-world impact. You will act as an ambassador for the work of SEI York, supporting, inspiring and mentoring other colleagues in the delivery of their research objectives and career development.
You will be supported in this role by the Deputy Director and Executive Assistant, alongside the Centre Management Team and Research Committee.
- PhD (or equivalent experience) in a relevant academic discipline
- Leadership experience in a significant management role with responsibility for staff and research activity
- An ability to engage in external activities with individuals and organisations at national and international level
- Proven experience of attracting and obtaining significant external research funding
- Experience of liaising with a range of stakeholders, including non- academic partners and other external organisations
- Demonstrable capacity for strategic thinking and planning
- Ability to influence and inspire staff and drive a culture of commitment, innovation and engagement that leads to delivery of successful outcomes
Stockholm Environment Institute (SEI) is an independent, international research institute founded in 1989. Its mission is to support decision-making and induce change towards sustainable development around the world by providing integrative knowledge that bridges science and policy in the field of environment and development. SEI was ranked as the second most influential environment think tank in the world in the Global Go To Think Tank Report 2017, compiled by the University of Pennsylvania’s Think Tanks and Civil Societies Program.
SEI has around 240 employees working at research centres in seven countries around the world. SEI’s headquarters are located in Stockholm, Sweden. Additional SEI research centres are located in Kenya (SEI Africa) Estonia (SEI Tallinn); United Kingdom (SEI York and SEI Oxford); the United States (SEI US); Thailand (SEI Asia); and Colombia (SEI Latin America).
More information and how to apply
For more information on the role and how to apply, please refer to the University of York by clicking the button below.