Based in Bangkok, the SEI Asia Centre has a diverse team of multinational experts that integrate scientific research with participatory approaches to co-develop and share knowledge, build partnerships, and influence policy for resilient development. Research at SEI Asia focuses on gender and social equity, climate adaptation, disaster risk reduction, water insecurity and integrated water resources management, transitional agriculture, renewable energy and urbanization.
SEI Asia is an affiliate of Chulalongkorn University (CU), Thailand. SEI and CU have inked a long-term agreement until 2023 to foster innovative scientific research combined with effective policy engagement on development and environmental challenges in Asia. The key areas of collaboration are: intellectual engagement for joint research applications and fund mobilization; lecturing and seminars for CU’s students; post–graduate supervision and examination; and, CU-SEI employee linkages.
SEI Asia is recruiting a highly motivated Research Fellow that will undertake research and development activities related to new and ongoing projects in Asia under the Water Resources Management Cluster, with a focus on spatial data analysis and mapping, developing GEE and Python scripts and geospatial tools to support decision-making and planning in water-land-ecosystem management, water-related disaster risk management (flood and drought), water-related urban planning and climate change adaptation. This position will also emphasize developing and managing innovative projects, work across disciplines, mentor early-career researchers, and build capacity for key stakeholders. The candidate will ensure that research results are published in high-quality external publications and engage with policymakers and decision-makers.
Key duties and responsibilities
- Provide technical research and leadership in the areas of utilizing geospatial data and remote sensing/GIS techniques, user interface (UI) and advanced technology such as AI and machine learning in water-land-ecosystem management, water-related disaster risk management (flood and drought), water-related urban planning and climate change adaptation.
- Lead projects, manage client/partnership relationships, supervise project staff and write project reports.
- Work collaboratively within teams and contribute to teams of multidisciplinary researchers and stakeholders.
- Engage with stakeholders and undertake critical policy analysis regarding applications of remote sensing/GIS.
- Provide guidance for early-career professionals on research management, project implementation and reporting, monitoring and evaluation.
- Develop documents, tutorials, user guides and technical reference information to support training, capacity building and reporting activities.
- Design and conduct data collection, field surveys and support the team to organize workshops and stakeholder consultations.
- Support SEI Asia Water Cluster Team to engage with relevant scientific and policy communities, engage in networking opportunities and create new partnerships.
- Identify funding sources, lead and contribute to proposal development and fundraising, and seek to secure funding for projects.
- In collaboration with the SEI communications team, undertake outreach activities that include teaching, presentations, dialogues and briefings, articles for specialist publications and scientific papers in peer-reviewed journals, plus interaction with the media as appropriate.
- Work with the Operations team to carry out project financial reports.
- Contribute to office management (staff meetings, cluster meetings and administrative tasks) and other duties as assigned by line managers.
Who you are
We are looking for a researcher who has adequate experience in researching and managing projects related to water-land-ecosystem management, water-related disaster risk management (flood and drought), water-related urban planning, and climate change adaptation in the Asia-Pacific region. We expect that this person will be able to apply analytical skills including remote sensing/GIS, programming (GEE, Python and R) and advanced technologies to create a positive impact on policy and practices at all levels.
Formal qualifications and knowledge
- A doctoral degree with a minimum of 3 years’ or a master’s degree with a minimum of 6 years’ work experience in geoinformatics, remote sensing and GIS, computer programming related to water resources management or other related fields.
- Experience in utilizing geospatial data and remote sensing and GIS techniques in water-land-ecosystem management, water-related disaster risk management (flood and drought), water-related urban planning, and/or climate change adaptation.
- Experience in using Google Earth Engine (GEE), python, R or any other open data platforms is an added advantage.
- Experience in leading and managing research projects.
- Experience working in multi-and trans-disciplinary teams, including teams comprising of researchers, technical roles and practitioners.
- A solid track record in fundraising and publications.
- Experience establishing networks of professionals, practitioners and researchers working in the same field(s).
- Excellent fluency in spoken and written English.
- Working knowledge of advanced technologies such as AI and machine learning.
- Experience working in South and Southeast Asia.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Proven capacity in task leadership and/or people management skills.
- Excellent planning, organizational and time management skills.
- Excellent analytical, problem solving and critical thinking skills.
- Positively influence attitudes of individuals and teams.
- Conveying the core values of SEI in everyday work, including the importance of high-calibre work as well as respect and trust.
- Capable of providing and receiving feedback in a constructive and respectful manner.
At SEI Asia, we offer a stimulating position in an international environment. You will be part of a leading multinational, multidisciplinary and multilingual team of experts in an organization where the well-being and development of our employees is of high priority. We value diversity and creativity at the core of what we do, and we welcome applicants from diverse backgrounds to apply. Our ambition is to provide a safe, professional and creative workspace for all.
Employment at SEI Asia
- Competitive package compared to international non-profit organizations in Thailand, including Provident Fund and Social Security Fund.
- Annual international health insurance covering spouse and children, and additional benefits connected to promoting employee well-being.
- Opportunities for professional growth and development.
- Flexible working hours, 37.5-hour workweek, and a generous number of vacation days and public holidays.
- Being part of organization tackling environmental and development challenges developing solutions for a sustainable future for all.
SEI Asia is comprised of over 20 nationalities and provides an internationally competitive level NGO salary and benefits package, with all employee contracts under Thai labour laws.
This is a full-time, 2-year renewal position with placement at the SEI Asia office in Bangkok, Thailand. We apply a standard 6-month probation period. Start date is as soon as possible or by arrangement.
SEI has a hybrid work environment, which allows employees to share their time between the SEI office and working remotely from their homes in Bangkok.
How to apply
SEI is an equal opportunity employer, and we consider all applicants on the basis of qualifications and competencies regardless of, but not limited to, race, national origin, religious beliefs, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, disability and marital status. We are committed to ensuring diversity and equality within our organization and applicants from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
We are reviewing applications on an ongoing basis so please submit your application as soon as possible, but no later than 19 August 2022, 23:59 Bangkok local time.
Applications should be written in English and consist of a short CV and cover letter highlighting relevant qualifications and experience.
As we only accept applications through our recruitment system, please apply online using the button below and include:
- Cover letter highlighting relevant qualifications and experience, 1 page maximum
- Curriculum vitae, 4 pages maximum.
Stockholm Environment Institute (SEI) is an independent international research institute founded in 1989. Its mission is to support decision-making and induce change towards sustainable development around the world by providing integrative knowledge that bridges science and policy in the field of environment and development. SEI was ranked as the world’s top think tank on environmental policy issues in the 2020 Global Go To Think Tanks Index compiled by the University of Pennsylvania’s Think Tanks and Civil Societies Program.
SEI has around 300 employees working at research centres in seven countries around the world. SEI’s headquarters are located in Stockholm, Sweden. Additional SEI research centres are located in Colombia (SEI Latin America), Estonia (SEI Tallinn), Kenya (SEI Africa), Thailand (SEI Asia), the UK (SEI Oxford and SEI York) and US (SEI US).