SEI seeks a motivated and collaborative writer and communicator to help us tell our stories and raise our profile. This is an exciting opportunity to direct our communications strategy and oversee media relations in the US, collaborate with international colleagues to maximize outreach and shape how we communicate our research.
Strong writing and organizational skills are a must, along with experience either in journalism or media relations. You will also have the opportunity to bring additional skills and interests to the position. SEI works on a wide variety of timely environment and resource issues, from climate change policy to water resource planning. You will work both with colleagues in the US, as well as with SEI researchers and communications colleagues in Africa, Asia, Europe and Latin America.
You will report to the SEI US Center Director and be part of SEI’s global communications team, under the guidance of the SEI Director of Communications.
Key duties and responsibilities
- Develop communications strategy for SEI US and its programs.
- Drive and oversee media outreach in US to strengthen SEI’s impact and position as a thought leader on sustainable development and work closely with the Senior Press Officer at SEI Headquarters and the global communications team to reach international outlets.
- Work with SEI researchers to identify opportunities to communicate and promote their work to bridge science and policy, including through publications, web stories and multimedia.
- Build relationships with journalists, analyze media coverage and maintain and expand media contact lists.
- Write and edit press releases, web stories, Q&As, perspectives and other materials that highlight SEI research, including on climate, energy and water analysis and policy.
- Promote SEI US work through social media channels.
- Oversee delivery of communications services to SEI US programs, including web design, video production and document layout.
- Collaborate with communication colleagues in SEI Headquarters and other centers to leverage skills across SEI for communication strategies and products (may require early mornings).
- Juggle multiple tasks for a wide range of projects with various deadlines.
Possible additional responsibilities depending on skills and interest
- Develop visual materials for print and web, including turning data into graphics or designing publications and marketing materials.
- Produce videos for the SEI website to showcase researchers and their work.
- Provide support for proposal and grant writing.
- Help organize events related to SEI US projects and programs, including communications and logistical support.
- Expand SEI US’s social media presence.
- Bachelor’s degree and a minimum of 7 years of relevant work experience in professional journalism, media or writing and communications for environmental research organizations, government agencies or non-profits.
- Excellent writing skills, including ability to explain complex policy and scientific issues.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work with a diverse team and partners around the world.
- Interest in environmental issues, natural resources and/or sustainable development and policy engagement.
- Excellent time management skills and ability to juggle multiple projects at once.
This position is based in the Somerville, MA office of the Stockholm Environment Institute’s US Center, although for the right candidate, we may consider a remote work position in the Eastern time zone.
SEI offers a comprehensive benefits package, including paid parental and family medical leave after one year of employment.
We have a casual work environment and flexible work schedules and offer 20 days of vacation a year to start.
SEI is an equal opportunity employer. We value diversity and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability status.
Please note that applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States on a full-time basis.