The event is free of charge and will be held mostly in English. The policy panel discussion will be in Estonian.
Alongside keynote presentations and panel discussions, an expo area will showcase examples of innovative production in the Baltic and Nordic regions.
9:00 Registration, coffee/tea
09:30 Welcome address
- Welcome address by Mr Rene Tammist, Minister of Entrepreneurship and Information Technology
- Why do we need creativity and sustainability in bioeconomy? by Dr Kaja Peterson – SEI Tallinn
10:00 Keynote speech 1: Innovation and sustainability – an updated EU Bioeconomy strategy
This session will be followed by a Q&A.
- Joachim Kreysa, Bioeconomy Advisor, JRC/European Commission
10:30 Keynote speech 2: Value chains and innovative business models for the Estonian bioeconomy
- Dr Evelin Loit, University of Life Sciences, Member of the RITA bioeconomy project team
11:00 Panel discussion 1: Bioeconomy technologies and innovation (in English)
- Ms Eva Nordberg Karlsson, Lund University
- Mr Mart Mere, EstAgar
- Mr Erlend Sild, Estonian Insect Industry Association
- Mr Petri-Jaan Lahtvee, University of Tartu
- Moderated by Mr Madis Tilga, Norden
12:00 Lunch and exhibition
- Lunch (vegetarian buffet)
- Exhibition/poster session in the lobby
13:30 Panel discussion 2: Smart Consumers – who and why?
- Ms Katrin Pärgmäe, Estonian Development Co-operation Roudtable (AKÜ)
- Ms Helen Arusoo, Organic Estonia
- Ms Katrin Bats, Rimi Foods AS
- Ms Kai Klein, Baltic Environmental Forum Estonia
- Moderated by Ms Irje Möldre, Estonian Private Forest Centre
14:15 Keynote speech 3: Sustainability criteria for bioeconomy, climate resilient bioeconomy
- Dr Kaja Peterson, SEI Tallinn, Interreg RDI2CluB project on bioeconomy clusters and innovation ecosystems
This session will be followed by a panel discussion with Dr Francis X. Johnson, Dr Ivar Virgin and Dr Matthiew Fielding (SEI)
15:00 Panel discussion 3: Policy coherence and policy relevant innovation for sustainable bioeconomy (political parties)
- Reform Party: MP Kalle Palling
- Central Party: MP Erki Savisaar
- Free Party: Chariman Kaur Nurm
- Green Party: Chairman Züleyxa Izmailova
- Pro Patria – Siim-Valmar Kiisler, Minister of the Environment
- Social Democratic Party: MP Rainer Vakra
- Estonia 200: Mr Jaak Laineste
- Biodiversity Party: Mr Mihkel Kangur
- Moderated by Kristo Elias, Estonian National Broadcasting journalist
16:15 Take-away messages
16:30 Programme ends
Please register by 15 February. Registration is free while seats last.
About the conference
This conference is organized by SEI (via the interreg RDI2CluB project) in cooperation with the Nordic Council of Ministers’ Office in Tallinn, the Bioeconomy Centre of the University of Life Sciences, and the Estonian Private Forest Center.