Her Ph.D. explored issues around seasonal climate forecasts and use among smallholder farmers in Lesotho, as well as the national and district institutions supporting climate information dissemination. This work has since developed and today Gina focuses on a broad range of social and environmental issues in southern Africa.
Her research interests include:
- Vulnerability and adaptation to climate, environmental and health stress
- Food insecurity and household/district response
- Southern African development and resource management
- Participatory research for understanding scientific application potential
- Rural livelihood diversity and resilience