The PLAtform for Climate Adaptation and Risk reDuction (PLACARD) project focuses on issues involving climate change reduction (CCA) and disaster risk reduction (DRR). The project aims to address gaps, fragmentation and challenges that emerge between the two communities in terms of current research, policy-making and practice. The projects supports the development and implementation of an evidence base for research and innovation policies.
Specifically, PLACARD has the following objectives:
- Establish a network of networks of different CCA and DRR stakeholder groups and initiatives at the international, European, national and sub-national scales.
- Create a common “space” to facilitate dialogue and consultation among stakeholders and initiatives.
- Design effective science, policy and practice dialogues.
- Take stock of the adaptation and DRR decision-making context.
- Facilitate and guide knowledge exchange and mobilization between adaptation and DRR.
- Strengthen adaptation and DRR institutions and give direction to policy-practice agendas.
- Streamline the dissemination and implementation of ongoing and evolving research and innovation activities on adaptation.
The Connectivity Hub linking climate change adaptation and disaster risk reduction evolves from prototype to a full working version with wider reach.
This new tool helps people in the disaster risk reduction and climate change adaptation communities find potential synergies and communicate better.
The authors advocate for the creation of a climate change "translator" to help climate adaptation and disaster risk reduction communities communicate better.
The PLACARD Legacy Framework puts forward an adaptable, universal approach for research and policy initiatives to foster long-term impact.
The European Climate Change Adaptation conference is convened by projects funded from the EU’s Horizon 2020 Research and Innovation Framework Programme.