Agriculture, food production and deforestation have been identified as among the main drivers of climate change according to the IPCC. At the same time, these sectors have a significant potential to reduce greenhouse gas emissions (GHG) as well as remove GHG from the atmosphere through improved practices. To limit global temperatures’ increase to 1.5°C a major shift towards sustainable land use is required. In addition, given the economic and developmental importance these sectors represent, and their vulnerability to climate change, they need to be at the forefront of the adaptation efforts of many countries.
This event will explore questions related to what governments and businesses can do to improve land use management with special focus on forestry and agriculture and the food, materials and fuels they provide. How can policies support opportunities and address risks? What role can the private sector play to promote responsible sourcing to accelerate climate action and develop resilience?
12:30 Welcome and opening by the moderator (WWF)
12:35 Key takeaways from the IPCC Land use report
12:45 Opening question: What can businesses and governments do to improve land use management with special focus on forestry and agriculture and the food, materials and fuels they provide?
12:50 Panel discussion
1. Perspectives from the private sector: Sustainable sourcing of wood: the IKEA approach.
2. Perspectives from an intergovernmental organisation: Integrating Agriculture into National Adaptation Plans: the UN approach.
3. Best practice examples from governments: Vietnam (Min. of Agriculture and Rural Development), Cote d’Ivoire (TBC).
4. Perspectives on measurement: World Resources Institute.
13:30 Q&A with the audience
13:50 Closing summary of the discussion
- Francis X. Johnson, Senior Researc Fellow SEI, Author from Special Report on Climate Change and Land Use, IPCC
- Ulf Johansson, Global Wood Supply and Forest Manager, IKEA
- Julia Wolf, Programme Officer, FAO
- Dr Tran Dai Nghia, Minister of Agriculture and Rural Development, Vietnam
- Pankaj Bhatia, Deputy Director Climate, WRI
- Josefina Brana Varela, Senior Director for Forest and Climate, WWF
When: December 5, 12:30-14:00
Where: EU Pavilion, Room Brussels, IFEMA de Madrid