The seminar addressed the following questions:
- What do we know about past as well as current pattern and drivers of international migration and forced displacement?
- What are credible scenarios for the future of international migration and displacement?
- What would this mean for Europe?
About the speaker
Prior to joining the EPSC in 2015, Rainer Münz was – between 2005 and 2015 – Head of Research and Development at Erste Group, a Central European retail bank headquartered in Vienna. He also worked as Senior Fellow at the European think tank Bruegel (Brussels), the Hamburg Institute of International Economics (HWWI) and at the Migration Policy Institute (MPI, Washington DC).
Until 2004, Rainer Münz had an academic career as researcher at the Austrian Academy of Sciences, 1980-1992, and at the Department of Mathematics of Finance/ TU Vienna, 2002-2004, as well as a tenured university professor at Humboldt University, Berlin, 1993-2003. He also was visiting professor at the Universities of Bamberg, UC Berkeley, Frankfurt/M., HU Jerusalem, Klagenfurt, St. Gallen (HSG), Vienna and Zurich. He currently teaches at the Central European University (CEU Budapest) and the Austrian Diplomatic Academy (Vienna).
In 2000-01, Rainer Münz was a member of the German commission on immigration reform (Suessmuth commission). Between 2008 and 2010, he was a member of the high level “Reflection Group Horizon 2020-2030” of the European Council (Gonzales commission).
Currently he is one of the chairs of KNOMAD, the World Bank’s Global Knowledge Partnership on Migration and Development (since 2013) and chair of IOM’s Migration Advisory Board (since 2015).
10.15 Welcome and introduction
- Björn-Ola Linnér, Professor of Environmental Change at Linköping University and Programme Director of Mistra Geopolitics.
10.30 Seminar: International migration and the impact on climate change
- Rainer Münz, Special Adviser on Migration and Demography, European Strategy Policy Centre, European Commission, Brussels.
11.15 Q&A session
How to register
Submit the form below to register for this event.