Virtual dialogue for African stakeholders
In July 2020, SEI Africa and Professor Dasgupta and his team based in HM Treasury, together with Kenya’s National Treasury and the AfDB, hosted a virtual dialogue for African stakeholders. Professor Dasgupta gave a presentation and gathered the views and perspectives from a range of stakeholder groups on the issues addressed in the interim report. The dialogue served as the start of an ongoing discussion on opportunities for implementation of the recommendations from the final report, including discussions on ‘what comes next’ once the review is published.
As a follow-up to the consultation, the AfDB, SEI Africa, and Professor Dasgupta and his team will now host a virtual policy dialogue on the Dasgupta Review Report. It will be an opportunity to highlight the contents of the report to different audiences across Africa.
- Presentation of the Dasgupta Report with highlights of the key findings and options for change
- Discussions on the AfDB’s role and interventions in support of the finance of biodiversity and nature
- Response from the panel on the implications of the Report to different constituencies in Africa, and
- Clarification of key issues from the report, based on questions and feedback from the participants, including policy makers, academics, the private sector, and other actors.
Expected outputs and outcomes
The main output from the dialogue will be a summary report highlighting the key issues emerging from the virtual event. The expected outcome is increased awareness and understanding among the participants of the Dasgupta Report, AfDB interventions to support the finance of biodiversity and nature in Africa, and the implications of the report to different actors at the national, regional (Africa) and international level, including for key processes such as the ongoing discussions on the post-2020 Global Biodiversity Framework.
How to register
Fill out the following form to register for this event.
14:00-14:15 Welcome remarks
Moderator: (Philip Osano, SEI Africa Director)
- Dr. Åsa Persson, Research Director and Deputy Director, Stockholm
- Prof. Kevin C. Urama, Senior Director, African Development Institute,
African Development Bank
- Ms. Sandy Sheard, Deputy Director, Head of Economics of Biodiversity
Review Team, Her Majesty’s Treasury, UK
14:15-14:45 Part 1: Interactive dialogue
Moderator: Mr. Richard Uku, Senior Advisor, Department of Communications and External Relations, African Development Bank
Conversation between Dr Akinwumi Adesina, the President of the African Development Bank (AfDB) and Professor Sir Partha Dasgupta on the Dasgupta Review on Economics of Biodiversity
14:45-15:25 Part 2: Moderated panel discussion
- H.E. Josefa Leonel Correia Sacko, Commissioner for Rural Economy and Agriculture, African Union Commission
- Dr Pushpam Kumar, Senior Economic Advisor, UN Environment
- Prof. Théophile Azomahou, Director of Training, African Economic
Research Consortium (AERC)
- Al-Hamndou Dorsouma, Acting Director, Climate Change and Green
15:25-15:40 Part 3: Interactive Q&A session
Participants’ questions and responses by presenters
15:40-15:45 Closing remarks
The Dasgupta Review Team
15:45-15:50 Vote of thanks and next steps
Dr. Vanessa Ushie, Manager, Policy Analysis Division, African Natural
Resources Centre, AfDB