This UN webinar (held on 19 January 2021) presented tools and methods that can help decision-makers identify synergies between climate mitigation and sustainable development goals (SDGs). Speakers offered lessons learned for local and national planning, and introduced decision-making tools to help planners navigate trade-offs and prioritize opportunities to realize climate and SDG co-benefits.
The webinar included three presentations on “Tools and methods that help decision-makers identify and act on climate/SDGs synergies”:
- SEI’s Jason Veysey gave a presentation on assessing climate and SDG synergies using the Low Emissions Analysis Platform (LEAP) tool.
- Piotr Magnuszewski, research scholar at the Centre for Systems Solutions/ International Institute for Applied Systems Analysis, discussed the “Nexus / SDGs Synergies Game“.
- Sofia Gonzales-Zuñiga, a lead author at the New Climate Institute, discussed “SCAN-tool Methodology“.
The webinar also included three presentations on “Lessons and practices from national NDC [Nationally Determined Contribution] processes and planning with climate/SDGs synergies” from the experiences of three countries:
- Kenya – presented by Anne Nyatichi Omambia, climate change coordinator, National Environment Management Authority.
- Nepal – presented by Manjeet Dhakal, head of LDC Support Team, Climate Analytics.
- Domican Republic – presented by Sara Gonzalez, head of international relations, National Council for Climate Change.