About the webinar
The webinar built on the experience of regions in Europe and beyond that have seen significant changes in their coal sector. It convened experts from BiH, SEI and other international organizations to discuss the upcoming challenges and opportunities for coal regions in BiH. The webinar included a series of short presentations with Q&A sessions.
The webinar “Transition away from coal in BiH: what does it mean, how might it be done, what can be learned from other countries?” took place on the 10 June, 13.00-15.30 (CEST).
The event has an English translation.
Introduction to the themes, speakers, and program of the day
13:10-13:15 Opening remarks
- Admir Softić, Assistant Minister for the Energy Sector and Senad Oprašić, Head of the Environmental Department – Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Economic Relations BiH
13:15-13:25 Coal production and use in Bosnia and Herzegovina
Overview of the coal sector in BiH and trends in energy
- Damir Miljević, Member of Managing Board, RESET
Sustainable Energy Transition Center
13:25-13:35 Principles of just transition and historical lessons
Introduction to the concept of just transition and key lessons learned from looking at historical transitions involving major industries and the mining sector.
- Claudia Strambo, Research Fellow, Stockholm Environment Institute
13:35-13:50 Initiative for coal regions in transition in the Western Balkans and Ukraine
Introduction to the Initiative and its work in the Balkans.
- Dr Anna Sobczak, Policy Coordinator for coal regions in transition in the framework of EU Green Deal, European Commission (DG ENER)
14:10-14:25 Territorial transition planning in practice: Insights from Poland
Overview of Poland’s experience with elaborating territorial just transition plans
- Aleksander Szpor, Head of the Just Transition Research Program, Instrat
14:25-14:40 The World Bank’s activities on coal transitions
in BiH and the Balkans
Overview of the World Bank’s coal industry engagement with BiH and
examples from the Balkan region.
- Dr Rachel Perks, Senior Mining Specialist, World Bank
14:40-14:50 The EBRD just transition initiative and its
engagement in the Balkans
Overview of the EBRD just transition initiative and the Bank’s activities on energy transitions in the Balkan region.
- Francesco Corbo, Associate Director, and Head of Energy for the Western Balkans, European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (EBRD)
14:50-15:00 Power utility perspective
Reflections on the energy transition and challenges and opportunities in BiH
- Anes Kazagić, Head of Strategic Development Department – EPBiH power utility
15:00-15:25 Q&A discussion
Moderated discussion among presenters, and some further questions invited from the audience
15:25-15.30 Closing remarks
About the project
The development of Bosnia and Herzegovina Environmental Strategy and Action Plan 2030+ is entrusted to SEI and, when adopted, will provide a critical tool for relevant authorities to reach environmental sustainability and improved citizen health and well-being for current and future generations across BiH.