Six key environment and sustainable development challenges facing the Asia and Pacific region will be addressed in the second half of 2019 and early 2020 through new SEI partnerships with NGOs and governments. The effort is part of SEI’s Strategic Collaborative Fund Phase 2 (SCF2) programme, an initiative first launched by the Swedish International Development Agency (Sida) in 2013 to build capacity and enable learning in the region through a collaborative partnership approach. The Fund’s new phase applies rights-based and gender equal approaches to support communities, governments and development agencies that are confronting the region’s rapid development, and consequently, negative environmental, economic and social impacts.
The regional environmental event support from SEI under SCF2 covers six themes: climate change adaptation, gender, water, energy, agriculture and disaster risk reduction. It will bring together diverse groups of stakeholders at regional environmental and sustainable development events in order to address key environmental and development challenges and promote informed policy dialogues. Knowledge and experience sharing at the events will help shape public policy to advance sustainable and inclusive development and poverty alleviation, with an eye on achievement of the UN Sustainable Development Goals.
The following six awards will be for regional environmental events happening between June 2019 and early 2020:
- Climate Change Adaptation: Awarded to the Samdhana Institute, for the forum proposal Challenges and Opportunities on Indigenous Knowledge Systems and Practices and Rights-Based Sustainable Development: A Southeast Asian Forum.
- Water: Awarded to World Wildlife Fund (WWF) Greater Mekong, for the forum proposal Regional Consultation to Promote Actions to Improve Asian Deltas Resilience.
- Energy: Awarded to Forest Peoples Programme, for the forum proposal 9th Southeast Asian Human Rights and Business Conference.
- Agriculture: Awarded to the Department of Policy and Legal Affairs, Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry, Lao PDR, for the forum proposal Building Effective and Harmonised Regional Policy on Sustainable Agriculture.
- Disaster Risk Reduction: Awarded to Asian Coalition for Housing Rights (ACHR), for the forum proposal Grassroots Community Resilience at the Asia-Pacific Urban Forum 7 (APUF-7).
- Gender: Cuso International, for the forum proposal Silver Linings – Transforming gender through climate dialogue.
SEI has reached out to the new partners to begin collaboration and support for the six events. It is working with its main implementing partner, the Raoul Wallenberg Institute, to provide event input and guidance.