SEI values diversity and encourage qualified women and men to apply. Our internship programme is part of capacity building activities and is designed for talented and motivated individuals who would like to gain knowledge and learn skills in the field of environment and development, and in particular, SEI’s thematic focus areas. It allows selected candidates to gain insight into the work of SEI and provides training and experience in various professional fields.
What we offer
SEI Africa provides a hub for SEI’s engagements across the continent, and works actively to make connections with research and policy organizations. The centre work has a focus on four key areas: energy and climate change, natural resources and ecosystems, health and environment, and sustainable urbanization. We also have an active communications team with expertise in project communication strategies, writing and social media.
Through these five areas, interns at SEI Africa can benefit from exposure to a wide range of pertinent environmental and development issues in Africa, achieved through research activities, science and policy processes, and field work that allow them to gain valuable work experience and insights.
We currently offer two internship periods each year: January to June and July to December. Exceptions can be made based on individual discussions should the applicant or SEI research team have special requirements concerning the timing of the internship.
The internship period is six months and can be only extended once for an additional six months based on individual performance and organizational needs.
While the specific design of the internship is individually based, there are two general types. One is mainly based on initiative from the applicant that falls within the core interests and expertise of SEI. This could include the writing of a master’s thesis. The other is project based with clearly defined internship tasks within the scope of our ongoing work.
Who can apply
The internship opportunity is for people who wish to gain more knowledge and experience in the environment and development sector. Interns should describe their interest and state their preference for one of SEI Africa five work areas (as mentioned above).
Who we are looking for
- You hold a master’s degree in a field related to our work or are currently studying a related master’s course.
- You have an interest in one of SEI Africa’s work areas: energy and climate change, natural resources and ecosystems, health and environment, and sustainable urbanization or communication.
- Minimum internship period is six months.
- Fluency in spoken and written English. An additional language, especially French and Portuguese, is a plus.
- Priority is given to candidates from Sub-Saharan Africa.
For applicants from sub-Saharan Africa, we offer a stipend of KES 50 000 per month (approximately US$460) for the duration of the internship.
Internship applications from outside sub-Saharan Africa are also welcome. However, if accepted, the intern will be responsible for obtaining funding and insurance for the full duration of the internship period at SEI Africa.
Please note that SEI does not provide housing and unfortunately cannot assist in finding accommodation. However, we will assist you to obtain a Kenyan visa that will allow you to undertake your internship for the duration.
- Send the following documents to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- A letter of application, highlighting relevant background, qualifications, desired internship period, research interest area (energy and climate change, natural resources and ecosystems, health and environment, sustainable urbanization or communications) and expected achievement at the end of the internship (maximum two pages).
- Curriculum vitae (maximum two pages).
- Recent writing samples if any (not mandatory but would be appreciated).
- Before the beginning of each internship period, shortlisted applicants are invited for a short presentation and interview.
- Selected candidates are informed by email.