How can behavioural insights and communication campaigns be used in environmental policymaking?
Two new reports generated within the SLE Programme highlight how to redesign choice structures and influence individual behaviour to reduce the use of single-use plastic.
The first report, Next Steps in Tackling Plastic Litter: A Nudging Strategy for Reducing Consumption of Single-Use Disposable Cups, explores how behavioural insights can be used to develop options to nudge consumer preferences from single-use cups to more sustainable alternatives.
The second report, Reducing Plastic Pollution: Campaigns that Work, provides insights and examples on how to maximize the effectiveness of campaigns for sustainable plastic consumption. The research specifically looks at how campaigns from non-governmental organizations, companies and governments can use more effective behaviour change strategies to influence individuals’ sustainable use of plastic.
This free webinar gathers representatives from the Swedish Ministry of the Environment, UNEP’s One Planet Plastics Initiative, policy advisors from the Swedish EPA, and waste reduction experts from the NPO WRAP.
- 14.00 – 14:20 Opening remarks
- Andrea Norgren, Co-Lead 10YFP Sustainable Lifestyles and Education Programme, SEI
- Stephen Stone, Chief, Resources and Markets Branch, Economy Division UNEP, welcomes
- Sofia Tingstorp, Government of Sweden, Ministry of Environment & Energy
- Elisa Tonda, Head of Consumption and Production Unit, Economy Division, UNEP
- 14:20 – 14:40 Report Highlights
- Niklas Laninge – author of Next Steps in Tackling Plastic Litter: A Nudging Strategy for Reducing Consumption of Single-Use Disposable Cups
- Ellie Moss – author of Reducing Plastic Pollution: Campaigns that Work
- 14:40 – 15:05 Panel discussion, moderated by Stephen Stone, UNEP. The panel includes:
- Safia Qureshi, Founder and CEO of CupClub
- Federico Porrà, Circular Economy Policy Officer, European Commission
- Ficre Zehaie, Environmental Policy Expert, Swedish EPA
- Rachel Gray, Behavior Change Manager, WRAP UK
- 15:05 – 15:15 Q+A and closing remarks
This webinar is a joint collaboration between SEI and the 10YFP Sustainable Lifestyles and Education Programme, with input from the Swedish EPA.