2022 HLPF Side Event within the Permanent Mission of the Federal Republic of Germany to the United Nations
Co-hosted by the German Council for Sustainable Development (RNE), the Stockholm Environment Institute (SEI), the Colombian National Planning Department (DNP) and the Federal Government of Germany
Date: 14th July, 13:15-14:45 EST in New York
The following questions will guide the discussion:
- What are the implications of the sustainability activities included in VLRs for national policy decisions and, conversely, what are the feedback effects of national strategy and reports on municipalities?
- In what thematic areas of the 2030 Agenda are municipalities the key actors to drive change and delivery of SDGs (and where do they need to have a solid interface with national policy making)?
- Where do municipalities share similarities and where are differences in establishing VLRs in various country context settings?
This debate will focus on policy coherence of local and national policymaking and provides snapshots from Germany and Colombia.
Dr. Bärbel Kofler, Parliamentary State Secretary to the Federal Minister for Economic Cooperation and Development
- Dr. Bettina Hoffmann, Parliamentary State Secretary at the Federal Ministry for the Environment, Nature Conservation, Nuclear Safety and Consumer Protection (BMUV)
- Head of Delegation, Colombia (tbd)
Voices from German and Colombian municipalities on their path towards the Global Goals
VLR discussion: Assessing local progress and feeding it into national policy-making for the 2030 Agenda
- Katja Dörner, Mayor of the City of Bonn, Germany
- Carlos Maya López, Mayor of the City of Pereira, Colombia
National and international reflections on the value-added of VLRs for SDG delivery
- Olga Lucia Romero Londoño, Director Public Policy Evaluation Colombian National Planning Department (DNP) – Technical Secretariat for the SDGs, Colombia
- Dr. Fernando Ortiz Moya, Institute for Global Environmental Strategies (IGES), Japan – tbc
- Dr. Stefan Bauernfeind, Head of Division Sustainable Development, Federal Chancellery Germany
Concluding remarks on international partnerships
- Dr. Marc-Oliver Pahl, Secretary General, German Council for Sustainable Development
A light lunch will be provided.
- Dr. Hannah Janetschek, German Council for Sustainable Development (RNE)
- Ivonne Lobos Alva, Stockholm Environment Institute (SEI), Colombia
Please RSVP for this event
Please note that this is an in-person event, only register if you are planning to attend in New York. If you want to attend virtually please join the streaming on Youtube
Important COVID-19 Requirements:
In order to attend the event, all persons must provide proof of full vaccination or of recovery. Any individual who is symptomatic, even if fully vaccinated, may not attend the event. All participants must be wearing medical masks.