Join the event online
This event will take place at the WHO Health Pavilion at COP26, Glasgow, but you can also join the event online here:
In 2020 and 2021, many countries enhanced their climate change mitigation ambition by integrating action on air pollutants into their updated nationally determined contributions (NDCs). Many others have committed to taking actions to reduce GHGs that will also implicitly improve air quality and human health, and contribute to meeting the recently updated WHO Air Quality Guidelines1. As countries move from targets to implementation, it is necessary to ensure that the local air pollutant and health benefits are robustly monitored, to ensure that they are being realized, as the NDCs are implemented.
This event will provide an overview of a new Initiative for Climate Action Transparency (ICAT)/Climate and Clean Air Coalition (CCAC) titled “Integrating Short-Lived Climate Pollutants and Air Pollution into Climate Change Monitoring and Transparency Frameworks: A Practical Guide”. This guide provides concrete steps for national planners to integrate air pollutant and health benefits into their monitoring and policy evaluation frameworks.
The session will also include presentations from CCAC and ICAT country partners, who will present their practical experiences and lessons of tracking progress on air pollution within their MRV frameworks.
Country partners will provide lessons and insights on three key questions:
- What steps have been taken in their country to integrate air pollutant and Short-Lived Climate Pollutant (SLCP) mitigation in climate change planning?
- How are these impacts tracked within MRV frameworks?
- What are the next steps? How can air pollution and climate change mitigation be more closely integrated to maximize benefits for both issues?
Moderator: Dr Chris Malley, Stockholm Environment Institute, University of York
13:00 Welcome and opening
- Dr Henning Wuester, Director at Initiative on Climate Action Transparency
13:02 Opportunities for integrating monitoring and evaluation of climate change and air pollution, and practical guidance to achieve it
- Justin Goodwin, Aether
13:17 Setting targets and monitoring progress on actions on Short-Lived Climate Pollutant mitigation in Nigeria
- Bala Bappa, Nigeria SLCP Planning Coordinator
13:27 Monitoring progress of Mexico’s black carbon NDC target
- Dr María Amparo Martínez Arroyo, Director at Mexico National Institute of Ecology and Climate Change
13:37 From targets to implementation: next steps in realizing Colombia’s black carbon target
- John Henry Melo, Technical Coordinator – NDC Implementation, Climate Change Direction, Colombia Ministry of Environment
13:47 Questions and Answers
- Dr Chris Malley, Research Fellow, Stockholm Environment Institute, University of York