In December 2019, the European Council agreed to make Europe the first continent to achieve climate neutrality by 2050. As part of its Green Deal, the European Commission is going to propose the European Climate Law, which will enshrine the 2050 climate neutrality objective in legislation.
The Green Deal acknowledges that achieving the vision of climate neutrality can only succeed if the transition is fair and inclusive. Therefore, policies at the EU and the national level need to address the dual challenge of the technological feasibility of climate neutrality on one hand and the social ramifications of the transition on the other.
Event language: English
Cost: The event is free of charge
Venue: Permanent Representation of Estonia to the EU, Brussels (Rue Guimard 11/13)
Registration: email@example.com by 28 February
9.00 Arrival and registration (coffee and sandwiches served)
9.30 Welcome to the future: opening remarks
- Marten Kokk, Estonian Ambassador for Coreper I
- Kadri Simson, European Commissioner for Energy
9.50 From oil shale to zero emissions: How can Estonia achieve climate neutrality?
- Presentation by Lauri Tammiste, Centre Director, SEI Tallinn
10.25 Technology to the rescue: the decarbonisation of Swedish industry
- Presentation by Anders Wik, R&D Manager Digitalization and Nuclear, Vattenfall
10.50 Ensuring fairness: the principles of a just transition
- Presentation by Claudia Strambo, SEI
11.15 Getting real: how to reach climate neutrality in 30 years?
Panel discussion – How EU member countries can successfully achieve a just transition towards climate neutrality moderated by Rob Watt, Head of Communications and Policy Engagement, SEI
- Kristi Klaas, Deputy Secretary General of the Ministry of Environment for Estonia
- Kitti Nyitrai, Member of the Cabinet of Energy Commissioner Ms Kadri Simson
- Artur Runge-Metzger, Director, DG Climate Action of the European Commission
- Erica Hope, Director, European Climate Foundation
- Maciej Burny, Director of PGE’s Brussels Office
12.15 Closing statements
12.30 End of event
Sign up for the event:
Please register to the event by contacting: firstname.lastname@example.org or +32 2227 4342 by 28 February. Spaces are limited.