CBEI estimates the total greenhouse gas emissions resulting from all consumption within a study area. For this project, two study areas will be analysed:
- the City and County of San Francisco, and
- the State of California.
For this study emissions will be broken down by
- emissions from households, government and business investments;
- emissions released within the study area, outside of the study area but within the United States, and in foreign countries;
- life-cycle phase (production, pre-purchase transportation, wholesale/retail, use, post-consumer disposal); and
- 400-500 types of consumer goods and services that aggregate to a few dozen subcategories and approximately 15 categories.