Kenya enacted a Climate Change Act in 2016. This act requires the government to develop five-year National Climate Change Action Plans (NCCAP) to guide the mainstreaming of adaptation and mitigation actions into sector functions of the national and county governments.
NCCAP 2018–2022 aims to further Kenya’s development goals by providing mechanisms and measures to achieve low carbon climate resilient development in a manner that prioritizes adaptation. This plan builds on the first action plan (2013–2017) and provides a framework for Kenya to deliver on its nationally determined contribution (NDC) under the Paris Agreement of the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC).
Goals and objectives
In line with the purpose of the CCAC’s SNAP initiative, activities under this project aim to:
- strengthen the institutional capacity dedicated to promoting the integration of climate change and air pollution
- develop an action plan for the reduction of short-lived climate pollutants (SLCPs) in Kenya and
- integrate of SLCP mitigation actions into relevant national planning processes in Kenya in order to contribute towards rapid and large-scale
implementation of activities to reduce short-lived climate pollutants at the national level.
1. Increased awareness and capacity at national level on short-lived climate pollutants:
- key national stakeholders sensitized about SLCP and how to mitigate them and are aware of the linkages between climate change mitigation and air pollution abatement
- capacity on assessment of SLCP using the Low Emissions Analysis Platform – Integrated Benefits Calculator (LEAP-IBC) tool.
2. An action plan on short-lived climate pollutants for Kenya is developed that outlines the major sources at national level, the priority sectors and key actions to reduce short-lived climate pollutants, and proposes a mechanism to coordinate and monitor the implementation of these actions and track progress in reducing emissions.
3. SLCP mitigation and air pollution abatement actions are integrated in ongoing national planning processes.
- Short-lived climate pollutants and air pollutants are included in the greenhouse inventory and national climate measurement, reporting and verification process.
- Actions to reduce SLCP are included in relevant NDC, NCCAP and medium-term plans.
- New project ideas related to SLCPs are identified and are turned into concept notes for fundraising.
4. A road map for the development of a national air quality management strategy and action plan is developed.