The purpose of this project is to enhance concrete knowledge related to preventing and reducing textile waste generation in the Baltic region, increase the capacity of stakeholders for increased collection, reuse and recycling of textiles and the development of effective policy measures for moving towards a circular economy for textiles.
The Nordic countries possess several best practices, technology innovations and other solutions in the areas of textile collection, sorting, reuse and recycling that would be highly valuable for the Baltic region to adapt. The project aims to transfer Nordic knowledge, create common understanding of the status of discarded textiles in the region, create a platform for Nordic-Baltic stakeholders to meet and help promote collaboration and partnerships with a view towards circular economy of textiles in the Nordic-Baltic region.
The project aims are achieved by:
- mapping the current landscape of textile waste flows and practices in the Baltic States (Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania)
- engaging key stakeholders within the region that are involved with garment sale, collection, reuse and recycling to share their experiences and to discuss the opportunities for sector development and transitioning the Nordic-Baltic region towards circular economy
- creating networking opportunities and boosting cross-regional and cross-sectoral collaboration between actors in Baltics and the Nordic countries for building a circular textile system in the region
The project started in November, 2018 and will end in April, 2020.
- Mapping the current landscape of textile waste flows and practices in the Baltic States (Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania)
- Baltic stakeholder involvement and capacity building in developing the infrastructure and practices for transitioning the Nordic-Baltic region towards circular textile system
- Nordic-Baltic collaboration building and developing recommendations for policy interventions and sector development
- Public authorities and policy makers
- Textile collection, reuse and recycling organisations
- The textile industry (producers and brands)
- Industry associations