The project StratKIT – Innovative Strategies for Public Catering: Sustainability Toolkit across the Baltic Sea Region – embodies a developmental logic which grows from understanding local conditions and factors enabling and limiting the progress towards increasingly sustainable procurement and catering services.
The catering sector looks for increasing its capacity to act as innovation driver whereby it can collaborate with SMEs and enhance local and regional economic life. Despite high expectations of sustainable procurement and catering services, the actual progress has often been modest. Most important factors to hinder progress list the following: lack of inspiration in the concept of sustainability, lack of matching learning resources, isolated best practices, low competence in applying public procurement directive of 2014, underdeveloped organic and low-input markets as well as differently oriented organizational and business needs.
The StratKIT project aims to enhance the use of sustainable catering services in the BSR through the following activities:
- Mapping the current situation. The project brings together professionals in the catering sector so that they can network and become animated about sustainable developments on the area. StratKIT collects information about the current status of the sector in respective countries and highlights both the problems and the best practices; thereby a big picture emerges about the ongoing developments.
- Systematizing the framework for different developmental paths and showing how strategic progress can be made towards increased sustainability. These models also include international knowledge base and most importantly, innovative novel approaches by BSR professionals, be they public administrators, procurers or caterers in StratKIT events.
- Tuning the results into the BSR Sustainability Toolkit, which will be an easy-to-follow and bottom-up guidance for sector’s professionals. This tuning of the results meets the reality of the professionals and speeds up local applications for sustainability. The toolkit will be pilot-tested in all partner countries.
- Harmonizing progress towards sustainable procurement and catering services across BSR, thus strengthening strategic efforts on the public authorities and organizational/business sustainability path. These achievements will bring BSR countries decision-makers closer each other, have a positive impact on societal appreciation of public services and give a strong message in the market and among customers in BSR.
Sustainable Public Meal Toolkit
The Sustainable Public Meal Toolkit provides experience-based advice on how to set up innovative strategies and activities for sustainable public procurement and catering services. The toolkit was developed in the Baltic Sea Region countries but can be used in many more places due to the generic descriptions in the tools. Start the change in your municipality, your company, your school, your hospital, or elsewhere!
- Tallinn city, Estonia
- Baltic Restaurants Estonia (Daily), Estonia
- Helsinki University, Finland (lead partner)
- Agrathaer, Germany
- IFAU Institute for Food Studies and Agroindustrial Development, Denmark
- Aarhus Municipality, Denmark
- Rybnik Municipality, Poland
- Finnish Professional Catering Association, Finland
- Central Denmark EU – Office, Denmark
- Herzen State Pedagogical University, Russia
- Commission of Sankt-Peterburg’s Local Governments, Russia
At the StratKIT Final Conference on 13 October 2021, the online sustainable public meal toolkit was launched. It supports stakeholders from public procurement.
Konverents käsitles avaliku sektori toitlustuse korraldust läbi keskkonnahoidlike hangete prisma keskendudes muuhulgas mahetoidule ja toidujäätmete vältimisele.
Seminar annab kogemusi ja teadmisi, kuidas hangetes tervislikkuse ja keskkonnahoiu põhimõtteid arvesse võtta.
The StratKIT Baltic Sea Region Stakeholder Round Table brings together public procurers, catering service providers, public authorities, suppliers & customers.
Projekti StratKIT seminaril anti ülevaade keskkonnahoidlike riigihangete rakendamise viimase aja arengutest ning edasistest plaanidest Eestis.